April 30, 2009

April 2009 Net Worth Update (+$3,318.51)

We had another really good increase to our new worth this month. It increased $3,318.51 from last month to $45,954.70 (click on spreadsheet below).

What worked:

We invested a total of $975.19 in our retirement accounts (401k, Roth IRAs & Traditional IRA) and saw them increase a total of $2,926.45 over last month. Very nice. My wife's began contributing 5% to her company 401(k) this month.


What did not work:

We are in the process of trying to short sell our house (we began this when my wife lost her job). Our banks are considering an offer now, so our 1st mortgage balance did not go down even though we made our payment this month. We also weren’t able to put any money into savings and actually spent ~$80 from it to cover part of my $1,100 gym membership. We're way off track to meet our 2009 net worth goal of $75,600.


Next month:

May has the potential to be another good month. I'm taking a trip to go see my family, but other than that, the only non-standard expense we have a $204.79 medical bill for my wife.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If your wife now has a job and you guys are doing so well, I don't understand why the bank would let you do a short sale. Can you explain?

1MansMoney said...

Anonymous-

Thankfully, the bank is working with us. We received the offer quite awhile ago, and while my wife has found a new job, my job is still really unstable.

-1MansMoney

J. Money said...

oh man, that housing stuff sounds crazy - i hope it works out for all involved!

1MansMoney said...

Thanks J. Money.

-1MansMoney